When volunteers share magazines with patients receiving chemotherapy treatment, deliver mail to patients, greet guests in the lobby or comfort families as they wait for loved ones having surgery, they help DCH hospitals provide our patients with the kind of quality health care they expect. Volunteers at DCH Regional Medical Center and Northport Medical Center are a part of our health care team.
Each of our volunteers participates in a hospital orientation session with the Volunteer Director or Coordinator of Volunteer Services. It is during this time that volunteers can choose the areas in which
they would like to work and set up schedules. We try to place volunteers in the areas that are consistent
with their skills and interests.
- Mail and Flower Delivery
- Escort Service
- Helping with Pediatric Patients
- Admission/Discharge Assistance
- DCH Gift Shop
- Information Desk
- Office Work
- Intensive Care Waiting Rooms
- Surgical Waiting Rooms
- Manderson Cancer Center
- Phelps Outpatient Center
- DCH Home Health Care Agency
- Patient Representatives
Volunteers may join the DCH Regional Medical Center Auxiliary, which was formed in 1993. Members are dedicated to service projects and fund-raisers that assist in the support of DCH. Each year, the Auxiliary raises thousands of dollars, which are donated to the hospital. Most recently, the auxiliary donated Christmas stockings for newborns at the Women's Center during the month of December. Auxiliary members designate how these and other funds will benefit the hospital.
Some projects funded by our Volunteer Auxiliary include:
- $1,000 annual scholarships are available to junior volunteers and college students interested in pursuing health care careers.
- $150,000 was raised by DCH Gift Shop proceeds to fund a security system for the Women’s Center and Pediatric Unit.
- $10,000 was donated to refurbish the Norman Reim Family Room, a private waiting room in the Emergency Department for family members of trauma patients.
- $150,000 was raised by DCH Gift Shop proceeds for renovation of the Women’s Center.
To become a volunteer at DCH Regional Medical Center, call Volunteer Services at (205) 759-7174, or e-mail Pam Kirkley.