Fayette Medical Center History
In 1936, what was then the McNease-Robertson Hospital (now Fayette Medical Center) became the smallest hospital in the United States to be certified by the American College of Surgeons. By the 1950s, the community began planning for the construction of a county hospital. In 1958, the county citizens passed a tax to finance construction of a new 35-bed hospital.
In 1963, a 28-bed nursing home was added to the facility. It increased to 50 beds in 1965. The hospital expanded to its current 61-beds in 1976. Fayette Medical Center has always received full accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
In 1984, when most small rural hospitals were closing or selling to large hospital chains, the Fayette County Hospital Board chose to enter into a long-term lease with the DCH Health System. The Board renewed the lease for another 20 years in 1996. This arrangement allowed the Fayette Hospital Board to bring greater stability to their hospital while retaining local ownership.